Sunday, December 21, 2014

Gotta bolt? These shoes might help~

Ready for a new scaremester, but not quite sure what to wear? Why not get some inspookration from some previous years' voltageous good looks. Some ghoul's style is so killer that it never goes out of fashion.

materials:
pumps
silver paint
plastic tubing
aluminum wire
nuts (the metal type)
ribbon (blue & white)
paintbrush
heat 'n bond ultra (the red type)
coloured pencils
leather cording
leather strapping
E-6000
craft foam sheeting
white glue
Sculpey mold maker
Insta Morph
silver studs
pliers
iron
ironing board
cotton scrap fabric
scissors

To start, lurk around the maul for a while to make sure you find a voltage base.  I've been looking for the perfect pair of pumps for over a year, and totally sparked when I found these.  They are uhgg-mazing, and didn't need too much work, making this a fun and easy project.
The shoes are velvet covered, so please be aware that if your shoes are plastic based or leather, this shoetorial isn't going to apply.

I started off with the heel hardware, it's my favorite part and I was excited to bring it to unlife.
Start with wrapping the wire around the heel.  I had a big bolt lying around my lab, so I used it as reference to make sure I was getting the look right.  If you have trouble wrapping the wire (it can be a bit hard to bend tightly)  try gluing leather cording around the heel instead.  It will have to be painted but if your heel isn't chrome like mine you'll have to paint that part anyways.
After the wire is wrapped around the heel, cut a small piece of plastic tubing and slide it up the heel.  Then screw the nut onto the tubing.  I suggest using a nut that very tightly fits the tube.  None of my heel needed to be glued together. It doesn't budge an inch.

Next decorate the back of the shoe with thin leather strapping and cording.  Cut the lengths and glue them with E-6000.

After all these pieces are attached, it's time to paint any bits that need to be silver.  Again my shoes are fabric, so I used a multipurpose acrylic.  If your shoes are plastic or leather you'll need to use a paint suited for that.
Once the paint is dry, add some small silver studs to the back. You'll want to bend the prongs before they are glued to the shoe.  I use pliers to do this, they are soft enough to bend with your fingers, but you can poke yourself more easily this way, ouch!

Time to add the final piece of hardware. Using a thin craft foam sheet cut out the shape for the silver plate, make sure to test the fit on the shoe.  You might want to sketch it out on a piece of paper first so you don't wind up wasting foam.  (Remember you need to make two. )

Next coat the foam piece in a few layers of watered down white glue, till it's nice and smooth.  Then paint silver.
To make the screw heads, I used the same method I used with my Ghoul Spirit Spectra Pumps. Mold maker, Insta-morph, paint, profit~



Glue the screw heads to the plate.  You can varnish the plate if you like, the silver paint I used changed colour and lost it's spark when varnished, so I suggest testing your paint first.  If your paint retains it's luster, varnish for extra protection.  Once dry, glue the whole thing to the bottom of the shoe.

The next step is to add that preppy touch.  Since my shoes have a nap there was no way that I would be able to paint straight lines, and all the paint markers I tested were very dull and soaked into the fabric a bit too much (if you have plastic/leather shoes painting might work).  The solution I came up with was to take 1/4" ribbon attach Heat 'n Bond to the back, and adhere it to the shoe.  It's a pretty simple and clean process.
I was unable to find silver ribbon that I liked in the 1/4" size.  They make it, but for some reason it is slightly larger than the non metallic ribbons. This really bothered me, so I took white ribbon and painted it silver using fabric paint.  I also like that the paint matched my heels better.  If you can find voltage silver ribbon, go for it ghoulfriend.
Start by marking out where you want your lines placed.  I pinned strips of ribbon onto the shoe, then marked the start/stop point with two different shades of coloured pencils.  My Frankie doll has two different patterns on her heels, so I marked each of the shoes separately.   I just love her freaky fab asymmetry.  The placement can get a bit confusing, and you might want to make your own Hoodude before you star,t to help you keep everything straight.
After all the ribbon placement is marked, cut out your strips, and paint the white ribbon silver.  Once that has dried, it's time to iron. Be scareful when using the iron,  small pieces can be tricky.  It's easy to make a mistake and burn yourself, especially if you get distracted by a cute manster skulking down the halls.  Lay the ribbons right side down on a scrap piece of cotton fabric (you won't be able to use this fabric again so don't use anything Clawdeen might already have plans for).   Following the manufacturer's instructions, iron the heat and bond to the back of your ribbon.  Peel the paper backing off and cut out the ribbons. The fabric will peel off once the ribbons are cut.  You'll want to cut really closely to the edges of the ribbons or the glue will make a mess of your shoes.


Iron the ribbons to the pumps one by one, starting with all the blue and then moving to the silver.  Make sure to place a piece of scrap cotton fabric (not the same one you just used, that's now covered in glue) between the ribbon and the iron.  This helps distribute the heat more evenly and will insure a good bond.

Time for the finishing touch on your new creation.  "Stitch" the front and back together by using small pieces of black leather cording.  Cut the strips with a slight angle to the ends, use a permanent marker to colour in the cut tips, bend them using your fingers and glue them flush to the shoe using E-6000.

With that last spark your creation is ready for its unlife.  If you decide you want to take these out with your picnic casket try revamping them in pink and black.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment