Saturday, November 16, 2013

Love these shoes, I've got at least five pairs!

Lets face it, Draculaura must adore those creepy cute heart cutout wedges. What ghoul wouldn't?  But five pair in (slightly) different colours, it must be love!



Don't believe me? This is what I came up with just looking on my shelf....Maybe I missed some?
Pink and silver day at the maul:

The all light pink killer style:

Coffin bean pink (sadly only the early stock seems to have the black x pink version, do those count?):



Next we have the almost? identical music festival wedges:


And finally (for now) the all black i <3 shoes:

Not placing any judgement ghoulfriend, I've got at least that may pairs of tea parties, but its safe to say that if your planning on making a Draculaura outfit, you might run into a pair of those freaky fab shoes!

**These are the first Monster High shoes I've made that require power tools, so the inexperienced beware. Always use the proper safety equipment and precautions when working with power tools.  I take no responsibility should you hurt yourself in any way. We are going to go at this like art class Abbey!**

Recommended supplies (this is just what I used):
Wedges
X-acto knife
Drill
Paddle bit (the size depends on the size of the cut outs)
Coping saw
Paper
Pen
Scissors
Hot glue gun & sticks
Styrofoam cutting wand (these are sold a most major craft stores)
Pink paint
Paintbrush
Safety Goggles
Pink fabric
Sewing Machine / needle and thread
Velcro
Some courage you are drilling into the unknown!

Start by drawing out a pattern for the heart and the two circles. I made mine in Illustrator so everything would be as symmetrical as possible. Cut them out and place them on your shoes.


Trace the shapes onto the shoes, and (using the X-acto knife) slice away the fabric. My shoes had a rubbery substance underneath.

Put on the safety goggles (or if you want to be Lagoona in the 13 wishes DVD booklet, you can put on your "googles"...yeah Mattel, I saw that). Using the drill with the paddle bit, drill two holes for the top of the heart and one hole for each of the small circles. If you have a large enough twist drill bit, the circles can be drilled with that. Be careful not to catch the fabric in the drill. You might need to cut the shapes on the other sides of the wedges and meet in the middle.

Now my cheapo shoes were weird and hollow on the inside. The drill was not happy having nothing to grip, so I had to finish some of the edges and the tip of the heart with a small coping saw and my X-acto.  If your shoes are anything like mine the rubber won't be to hard to cut, but you'll have huge gaping holes between the rubber layers. If you want to stay friends with Cleo, these unfashionable holes will need to be filled.
The best solution I could come up with was hot glue. The glue stays rubbery, and flexes with the shoes. It can also be re heated easily and be smoothed out. It doesn't seem to pull or crack when I walk, but this is just my solution.  Have some fun and play around with other materials till you find what works best for you. Basically I pumped the inside of the wedges full of glue, let it cool and then using my stryofoam cutter (which is a small heat wand) I smoothed out the glue.   My wand looks something like this:

I've found that this wand works for a great number of different thing, sealing ribbon edges, cutting holes in fabric, making fancy lace patterns in polyester... just about anything that doesn't involve cutting stryofoam.
Once the glue dried I used some pink acrylic that matched the fabric on my shoes to make it look like the cut outs were always there.

Phew that was nerve racking, almost done! To add the little ankle straps with bows, just sew two strips of fabric a bit longer then needed to go around your ankle.  Right sides together, and flip, attach two strips of velcro with the rough side facing away from your skin. Then hand sew two bows on the right side with the fluffy velcro on the back. 

After a long... slightly dangerous and fairly stressful process, I ended up with my own pair of the fangtastic heart cutout wedges. One pair down four more colour variations to go!

With a few slight modifications this process can be used for any of the colour combinations of what seem to be Draculaura's favorite shoes. I somehow feel like she has to at least have one more pair in her closet, where's the yellow ghoulfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment