Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Love the boots Catty, I can see myself in them....

What fanghoul wouldn't want a pair of Catty Noir boots? I mean fur-reals, they are totally clawsome, and compared to lots of other Monster High shoes they are fairly simple to bring to unlife...though a bit time consuming~ but there's plenty of time till my sweet 1600, so lets give this a try ghouls!


Materials:
Anti gravity wedges
"Chrome" vinyl
 Cutting board
Metal ruler
X-Acto knife
Scissors
Tracing paper
Coloured pencil
Permanent felt tip marker
Glue (I used Alieen's Jewel it glue, it was the only glue I could find that didn't damage the vinyl)
Blue tape
Straight pins 
Optional supplies depending on what shoes you choose
Pliers
Safety goggles
Protective gloves
 Needle
Heavy duty thread

Lets get started!
Please be aware that when I made these boots I had no intentions of making a how to, so my pictures are a bit lacking.  I've gotten too many requests not to put one together though~

First off, search for affordable heel less wedges (finding them in black is a plus).  I wanted the mirror to look cracked and broken, the black makes an excellent background.  If you need to paint your boots, check out my other Shoetorials for painting suggestions. I would recommend only painting the parts that show through the cracks, you'll get better glue adhesion.
These faux suede studded boots were the most reasonable I could find. They cost me a bit over $40, and needed some serious modifications.
As you can see from this lovely stock photo, they have cuffs at the top and studs on the back, both of which needed to go. The shoes are also for ghouls with much larger calves and were pretty huge on my decaying zombie legs. A bit of a set back, but all of these things are pretty easy fixes.
If you have similar boots, use pliers to carefully remove the studs.  I strongly advise wearing safety goggles and protective gloves if you have to do this, the studs can go flying and the backs are pointy.  Nothing would be worse than poking out an eye before a show, especially if you are a cyclops!
Next, I unfolded the top flaps and cut closely to top seam.  Stay above the top stitch line, so the boots don't come apart.
Then I needed to fit the boots to my legs. I cut a straight seam down the back and restitched it together by hand.  Its not the prettiest seam but it will mostly be covered in silver and not seen.  Hopefully you won't have these problems.

With that done, its time to give the boots some stage purrrrresence!
Start by pulling some strips of blue tape off the roll and sticking them to a cutting board. Using a metal ruler and a X-acto knife, cut the tape into 1/4" strips. Next apply the tape to only one boot where the cracks of the "mirror" will be.
Now it's pattern making time!
Pin some small pieces of tracing paper to the boot making sure to cover each cracked space fully.  Trace the edge of the blue tape crack lines, remove, cut out the shape, and pin back to the boot to check for fit.  Then proceed to the next piece till the whole boot is covered.  Remember the tape lines represent the cracks in the mirror so there should be a bit of space left between the pattern pieces.  You might have to add a few more cracks to help the paper lay flat.

Once the whole boot is covered, remove the pieces of paper one by one. As the pieces are removed, number the boot with a coloured pencil and the corresponding pattern with a pen (I used an orange pencil so I could see the numbers).  Leave the tape on the boot to use as guide lines. The section of tiny shards in the middle of the boot were left as one large piece with small lines drawn on it. I didn't cut these pattern pieces out until the rest of the boot was finished, they are easier to fit that way.

Next, flip all of the pattern pieces, trace onto the back of the vinyl, and number (use a fine felt tip marker). Then flip them back and make another set to use on the other boot. Gotta love mirroring your mirror pieces~
Cut out all the pieces and place them into separate sets labeled left and right so there is no confusion.
The vinyl doesn't fray or require any finishing to the edges, if you use a different fabric you'll have to address this issue.
Then, one by one glue the pieces to the correct places on the boots. I started with the shapes around the zipper. On the non marked boot, I compared the placement of each piece to the guideline boot before I glued them down.  To get a good mirrored look, it helps to place the pieces on both shoes at the same time.  Remove the guide tape as you glue, so it doesn't become stuck once the glue dries. To help hold the silver pieces in place, use some blue tape.  Allow to dry fully before taking the tape off.  For pieces with dramatic bends, glue them down in sections allowing each section to dry before gluing the next.

Once the boots are dry touch up any loose pieces and voila! You''l have some fangtastic Catty Noir Boots, purrrfect for a a ghoul's night out~


You can also use a similar process to create Catty's bodice to complete the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment